Do the words loyal and friendly describe you? Or maybe smart and giving? How about cunning and determined? Or do brave and daring describe you better? If any of those ring a bell, you must be a Harry Potter nerd like I am. Chances are you already know which house you belong to at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. If you don’t, stop right now and take the test HERE to find out before you even think about visiting the amazing Harry Potter World.
Visiting the wonderful Harry Potter World in Universal Studios is probably your dream vacation. What could be better than drinking butter beer in Hogsmeade, having your wand chosen at Olivander’s, and flying with the Hippogriff over Hagrid’s hut? Absolutely nothing. After my visit to this amazing place, I have some tips and tricks to share so you can master your own escape from reality at the wonderful Harry Potter World.
- If Harry Potter World is your main attraction at Universal Studios, do this first. You can zoom through the other activities in the park, but you want to make sure you have time to hit everything at Harry Potter World because there is so much to do.
- You MUST get dressed up. If you don’t already have your house’s scarf or t-shirt, get it here. It may be expensive, but it was so much fun bonding with other people that share the same house and gawking at the Slytherins that walked by (Griffindor Pride baby). Plus, where else can you geek out without being judged for it?
Is it Worth the Wait?
- The Olivander’s Wand Experience takes FOREVER to wait in line. The experience itself is only about seven minutes and the wand is not chosen personally for each individual. At the end of the show, you’re shoved into the shop and you choose the wand you want. You can choose based on the way it looks, by the character, or personality type. Unfortunately, they don’t have all the wands listed on Pottermore, so your choices are limited. I ended up choosing Cho Chang’s wand just for the looks because they didn’t have my core type available. I would avoid waiting in this line all together if possible and just choosing a wand from the shop.
- Don’t purchase the interactive wand. It makes your wand look cheaper for when you use it in the future and the effects weren’t really all that exciting. You can watch other people experience it and it will have close to the same effect.
- The 4D Harry Potter and the forbidden Journey ride is just amazing. You really feel immersed in the world and can physically feel it. Definitely worth the wait, you may even want to do this again before you leave the park.
- Viewing Hagrid’s Hut is only possible with the Flight of the Hippogriff ride, so it was a must for me. It’s a pretty typical roller coaster, but I enjoyed it. But one time was enough for me.
- Get your butter beer after the rides. The butter beer is super sweet and delicious, but it fills up your stomach. In order to avoid any accidents, save it for after.
- Eat at the Three Broomsticks for lunch. No matter where you are at the park for lunch time, eat here when you get hungry. There’s just something about sitting at the table and feeling like you’re in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
- The butter beer is nonalcoholic. I know, it was disappointing. It was delicious nonetheless.
- You’ll see Zono’s Joke Shop and Honeydukes in the same building. They’re both fun to walk around, but the only thing worth buying are the Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. This will keep you taste buds on alert all day long, and it’s fun to prank your friends with them when you go back home.